- Switch up the grain- you can sub wild rice, quinoa or farro, just make sure to cook it before adding it to the soup.
- Heavy cream- the recipe calls for heavy cream or a can of full-fat coconut milk. Use coconut milk to keep this recipe chicken and rice soup dairy-free.
- Add some extra veggies- add green beans, peas, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, or kale. Whatever veggies you have on hand will work!
1.Heat olive oil in the Instant Pot by turning on the sauté function. Add the diced onion, carrots and celery and cook until the onion is translucent.
2. Next, add the chicken thighs to the pot along with minced garlic. Pour in the chicken broth. Top with bay leaves, rosemary and thyme. Close the lid on the Instant Pot, set the vent to the sealing position and pressure cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
3. Release the pressure. Remove the chicken thighs and shred the chicken with two forks. Add the shredded chicken back to the pot with the half and half, cooked rice and slurry mixture.
4. Set the Instant Pot to sauté and bring the soup to a simmer. Once the soup starts simmering, hit cancel. Serve and enjoy!
▢2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
▢1 yellow onion, diced
▢2 carrots, diced
▢2 celery stalks, diced
▢1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
▢2 garlic cloves, minced
▢½ teaspoon salt
▢3 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
▢2 cups rice, cooked
▢2 bay leaves
▢1 teaspoon dried or 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
▢1 teaspoon dried rosemary or 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary
▢1 ½ cups heavy cream or canned full-fat coconut milk
▢2 tablespoons flour, cornstarch or arrowroot powder, dissolved in 4 tablespoons cold water
▢salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in the Instant Pot by turning on the sauté function. Add the diced onion, carrots and celery and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Next, add the chicken thighs to the pot along with minced garlic. Pour in the chicken broth.
- Top with ½ teaspoon of salt, bay leaves, rosemary and thyme.
- Close the lid on the Instant Pot, set the vent to seal and pressure cook on high for 20 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to naturally release for a few minutes then carefully switch the valve to release the remaining pressure.
- Remove the chicken thighs and shred with two forks. Add the chicken back to the pot along with the heavy cream or coconut milk, cooked rice and slurry mix.
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté and bring the soup to a slight simmer. Once the soup starts simmering, hit cancel. Season with more salt and black pepper before serving.
- Save salt for after cooking. Some chicken broths can have high sodium levels so it’s best to wait until after cooking to check the saltiness of the soup. If the soup isn’t salty enough, then season it before serving.
- Make a slurry. Make a slurry with either arrowroot powder, cornstarch or flour before adding it to the soup. Mix one tablespoon of the thickening ingredient into 2 tablespoons of cold water until dissolved. Then pour it into the soup.
To store the creamy chicken and rice soup, let it cool to room temperature, then transfer the chicken and rice soup to an airtight container. Store it in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- The soup can be frozen if you use coconut milk. However, if you use heavy cream, I do NOT recommend freezing the soup as dairy tends to separate when frozen. You may also want to
- wait to add the rice if you plan on storing leftovers in the freezer as it can soak up all the liquid when frozen.
- Reheat the soup in the microwave for 2 minutes or on the stove over medium heat for 10-15 minutes.