This Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup is the best comfort food dish. It’s creamy, healthy and really easy to make! This delicious soup is the perfect family meal for chilly nights.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
Uses real ingredients. This Instant Pot creamy chicken and rice soup recipe is made from scratch with a few simple ingredients, no canned soups are needed in this recipe.
Perfect for cooler weather. Chicken soup is the best especially when the weather starts to cool down.
Easy recipe. This is a 30-minute one-pot meal that is hands-off and super hearty. This chicken and rice soup uses cornstarch, flour or arrowroot powder to thicken it up and set it apart from traditional chicken soups. This chicken soup is great for meal prep as it lasts a week in the fridge and gets better every day.
INGREDIENTS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- Mirepoix- otherwise known as onions, carrots and celery. Don’t skimp on these ingredients, they add a delicious flavor that can’t be replaced.
- Chicken thighs- I prefer chicken thighs as they are more flavorful than chicken breasts.
- Rice- you can use any short or long-grain rice, white or brown. The rice needs to be cooked before adding it to the soup. Most grocery stores now sell bags of frozen white or brown rice that can be microwaved in just a few minutes.
- Bay leaves- I use dry bay leaves as they last longer and have a stronger flavor. Make sure to remove them after cooking.
- Fresh herbs I love cooking with fresh thyme and rosemary but don’t always have it on hand, and in this case, dried works just as well. Just be sure to use less if using dried herbs as they have a stronger flavor.
- Arrowroot powder, cornstarch or flour- helps to thicken up the soup. Arrowroot powder and cornstarch are gluten-free if that is a dietary concern.
- See the recipe card below for the remaining ingredients and quantities.