1 c. unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
4 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
4 tbsp. heavy whipping cream
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. vanilla extract
This ingredient shopping module is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content on their web site.
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line two 8″ round baking pans with parchment paper. Spray pans with cooking spray around the bottom and rim for good measure.
- In a large bowl: whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add in oil, eggs, black coffee, buttermilk, vanilla extract, and mix until just combined.
- Using a kitchen scale, divide batter evenly into prepared cake pans.
- Bake cakes for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of cakes comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool in pans for at least 10 to 15 minutes and then invert cakes onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make buttercream: using a hand mixer, beat butter together on medium speed until creamy. Working one cup at a time, carefully add in powdered sugar and continue beating until well incorporated. Add in cocoa powder and continue mixing together. Lastly, add in heavy cream, salt, and extract and continue beating until everything is well combined.
- Frost buttercream onto cooled cakes, and decorate with chocolate sprinkles, if using. Place decorated cake into the refrigerator for at least one hour prior to cutting into for best results.