Cut each chicken breast into similar-sized cubes.
Add all the marination ingredients like yogurt, lemon juice, cayenne (red chilli powder), paprika (Kashmiri chilli powder), pepper powder, tandoori chicken masala, garam masala, coriander powder, kasuri methi, salt, besan and oil to the chicken cubes.
You can adjust the spice as per your taste. This is a spicy recipe.
Take skewers and put the chicken tikka pieces in. Baste with some butter/oil and Air fry at 160 C or 320 F for about 8 minutes.
Next raise the temperature to 200 C or 390 F and air fry for about 6 minutes to get a lovely charred look.
Preheat oven at 240 C or 460 F for 10 minutes. Line a baking tray with foil and arrange a grill tray on it.
Line your tikka on skewers and bake for about 25-30 minutes till it is well cooked. You can do the same in a conventional grill.
1. What are the garnishes for chicken tikka?
This tikka goes really well with lemon wedges, sliced onions, green mint chutney and a sprinkle of chaat masala for the tang.
2. Do I need to marinate the chicken for 6 hours?
I suggest a minimum marination time of 2 hours. It tastes more flavourful when marinated for 4-8 hours.
3. What if I can’t find tandoori chicken masala?
You can use more garam masala in its place.
4. I can’t find kasuri methi?
You can skip it in the recipe.
5. What is thick yogurt?
The marinade needs thick yogurt. You could hang some yogurt in a cheese cloth. Drain the whey and use. Or use Greek yogurt.
6. Does the tikka stick to the Air fryer basket?
If you brush oil on the basket and put the tikka in the skewers then they don’t stick or stick minimally.
7. What if I want less spice and more colour?
You can skip pepper powder and cayenne. Add more paprika or Kashmiri chilli powder for a more red appearance.
8. Can I make these on a grill?
Yes, these cook beautifully on an indoor grill, a charcoal grill or a barbecue.
9. Why do I need to baste the tikkas?
Chicken breast are very lean and dry out very easily. Basting them helps them stay moist.
PREP TIME : 30 mins
COOK TIME : 15 mins
MARINATION TIME : 6 hrs
TOTAL TIME : 6 hrs 25 mins
COURSE : Appetizer
CUISINE : Indian, North Indian, North Indian | Uttar Pradesh | Punjabi
1 lb. Chicken breast boneless or 500 gm.
2 tbsp. ginger and garlic paste or minced ginger and garlic
3 tbsp. Greek yogurt
1 tsp. garam masala powder or curry powder
1 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. black pepper coarsely ground skip if you prefer less spice
1 tbsp. Tandoori chicken masala optional
1 tsp. paprika or Kashmiri chilli powder
1 tsp. coriander powder
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. kasuri methi or dry fenugreek
1 tsp. oil/butter for marination and some more for basting
2 tsp. chickpea flour or besan
- The key in making good chicken tikka is in its marination.
- Take all the ingredients of the marinade and mix to form a thick paste.
- Evenly coat chicken pieces with this marinade and keep for 4-6 hours or overnight for the flavours to get absorbed.
For Air Fryer
- Pre heat your airfryer at 160 C or 320 F for 5 minutes.
- Take skewers and put the chicken tikka pieces in. Baste with some butter/oil and Air fry at 160 C or 320 F for about 8 minutes. Next raise the temperature to 200 C or 390 F and air fry for about 6 minutes to get a lovely charred look.
- Preheat oven at 240 C or 460 F for 10 minutes. Line a baking tray with foil and arrange a grill tray on it. Line your tikka on skewers and bake for about 25-30 minutes till it is well cooked. You can do the same in a conventional grill.
- Serve hot with lemon slices, slices of onion and chaat masala. Enjoy
Always preheat your oven/air fryer 2. This recipe is spicy, reduce the spice as per your taste. 3. We cook first at low heat to cook the chicken from inside and yet keep it moist. 4. The high heat cooking is to give it a nice charcoal grill look. 5. When using air fryer, you can baste the pieces with oil midway during cooking. 6. Don’t overcook or the chicken will become stringy and chewy. 7. You could also do this on stove top by cooking on a hot skillet. Heat a skillet. Pour some oil and put the tikkas. Cover with a lid and cook on medium heat till both sides are done. Or use a grill to cook the tikkas.
Saturated Fat: 1g
Vitamin A: 1226IU
Vitamin C: 10mg