How to do it:
- Get a feel for belly breathing while lying on your back.
- Breathe in through your nose, filling your belly with air.
- As your stomach expands, push your diaphragm down and out.
- Lengthen your exhales so they’re longer than your inhales.
Do a few 5-minute sessions over a period of a few days. Slow down your pace when you first incorporate it into your runs. After you get the hang of it, you can pick up the pace.
2. Breathing exercises
Take time to focus solely on your breath. This helps to enhance lung function and capacity while developing breath awareness.
Discover which exercises resonate best with you. Create your own routine using one or more of the following breathing techniques:
- alternate nostril breathing, known as nadi shodhana
- equal breathing
- rib-stretch breathing
- numbered breathing
- pursed-lips breathing